JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Friday, December 12, 2008

Book Blogs.

Two book-related blogs that I read regularly are the New Yorker’s Book Bench blog and the New York Times Paper Cuts blog.

Both are excellent for various reasons. The Book Bench has a regular feature called Bookspotting in which they describe the people they see out in public and the books those folks are reading. I find this particularly fascinating because outside of the library, I don’t see a lot of people reading in public (yet another advantage of New Yorkers relying on public transportation). I always bring a book or magazine when I eat lunch alone, but I hardly ever see anyone else do the same.

Yesterday Paper Cuts had an interesting nugget about people who lie about books in order to impress the opposite sex. I can’t recall if I’ve ever lied about a book in order to impress someone, but I can recall being very disappointed that the guy I had just started to date only had one book. ONE BOOK! It could’ve been my favorite book (it was not; it was Slaughterhouse-Five) and it still would’ve been totally pathetic.

What about you? Have you ever lied about books? Claimed that you were Chaucer's #1 fan in order to impress that medieval lit student?

1 comment:

  1. I love the bookspotting idea. Wouldn't that be a fun gig to have? I'm with you though on seeing other people read. I wouldn't have a job long around here. As far as fibbing about books, the only way I do that is about the amount of time I spend reading when I should be doing other things. I don't do it to impress as much as to save my marriage. Does that count?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...