JavaScript disabled or chat unavailable.

Have a question?

We have answers!
Chat Monday-Friday, 8 AM - 5 PM (except MS state holidays)
Phone: 601-432-4492 or Toll free: 1-877-KWIK-REF (1-877-594-5733)
Text: 601-208-0868
Email: mlcref@mlc.lib.ms.us

Friday, May 13, 2016

I Want to Ride My Bicycle, I Want to Ride My Bike

Bicycle or bike, these two-wheeled transporters are loads of fun. (Never you mind that I seem to fall off immediately after hopping on every single time I try to ride!) It turns out that bikes have a closer relationship to books and libraries than you might first think.

Bikes outside Harrison County branch library, 1959
One of our favorite recent videos is this one of Afghani Saber Hosseini. He saw the need for a library in his area, so he's started his own and bikes the books to the people who want to read them. If you'd like to read more about Hosseini's project, check out this article.


Next up? In Buffalo, NY, they're experimenting with bookbikes. (I think they should call them bikemobiles. Bookmobile, bikemobile--get it?)


I couldn't finish write about bikes and libraries without mentioning this group, Cycling for Libraries. An international "un-conference" of librarians and library lovers, the organization advocates for libraries while biking. If I could ride a bike without falling off, these would be the people with whom I'd want to bike.

Bikes outside Shaw Public Library, Bolivar County, date unknown
I'm off to practice my cycling skills. Until next time, happy reading (and biking!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...